Friday, April 24, 2009

Patti Carmen Whitehead


The inspiration for many of the lines and forms in my work comes from the outdoors. Nature is one of the best teachers of art. I constantly focus on how the organic world is formed and how lines of attachment are always perfect and functional.
Producing pottery creates many design questions for me: purpose, function and beauty. The challenge of the problem may take time as I go through the trials and errors to arrive at the most desirable pot. A production piece must be made, fired, observed and used before you recognize what it needs to be a functionally aesthetic piece. Most importantly, the pots I make are intended for artful living, holding and use.
The forgiving nature of clay always amazes me and its ability to be transformed so greatly provides such huge opportunities for uniqueness and individuality.